Jørgen Wadum, keeper of conservation, PhD
Conservation and Scientific Research
Tel.: 2552 7120
Areas of responsibility
- Department budgets and revenue-generating activities
- Managing conservation and restoration work
- Supervising the physical condition of the Gallery’s collections
- The technical conditions (lighting, climate) under which the Gallery’s art is exhibited and stored
- Research and technological studies of the works of art plays an important part. It allows us to become familiar with the artists’ methods and materials, thereby facilitating the development of relevant treatment methods. In these activities, we draw on our memberships of numerous conservation-related research networks in Denmark and abroad.
Area of research
Cultural heritage conservation
“The Antwerp Brand on Paintings on Panels”, in E. Hermens (ed.) Looking Through Paintings. The Study of Painting Techniques and Materials in Support of Art Historical Research. Leids Kunsthistorisch Jaarboek XI (1998), pp. 179-198.
“Contours of Vermeer”, in I. Gaskel and M. Jonker (eds.) Vermeer Studies. Studies in the History of Art, 55. Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts, Symposium Papers XXXIII,. Washington/New Haven (1998), pp. 201-223.
“Antwerp Copper Plates”, in M. Komanecky (ed.) Copper as Canvas. Two centuries of Masterpiece Paintings on Copper 1525-1775. Oxford University Press. New York/Oxford (1999), pp. 93-116.
“Rembrandt under the Skin. The Mauritshuis Portrait of Rembrandt with Gorget in retrospect”, in Oud Holland CXIV (2000), pp. 164-187.
“Discoursing Artworks. The Multiple Faces of Conservation Documentation”, in Technical Art History: Painters’ supports and studio practices of Rembrandt, Dou and Vermeer. Dissertation, Amsterdam University, Institute of Art History (2009) pp. 1-11.
Selected activities and spheres of interest
- 2010-2011 Member of the scientific committee of ART 2001, 10th International Conference on non-destructive investigations and microanalysis for the diagnostics and conservation of cultural and environmental heritage, Florence, April 13-15, 2011
- 2008-2010 Member of the scientific committee of the conference TREE RINGS, ART, ARCHAEOLOGY, Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage (KIK/IRPA), Brussels, 2010
- 2008- Co-chair of the Panel Paintings Advisory Group, Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles
- 2007- Member of the National Gallery Governance Review Committee, London.
- 2007- Member of the Steering Committee of the ‘Magasinmanualen’ - The Danish Museum Storage Manual; ODM/KUAS.
- 2006- Member of the Danish Government delegation to the EU-project ‘Lending to Europe’
- 2005-2008 Member of the Directory Board of ICOM Committee for Conservation
- 2004- Member of the ICOM Disaster Relief Task Force.
- 2004- Advisor to the Swedish Nationalmuseum, cat. raisonnais of Flemish 16th & 17th century paintings.
- 2004- Council Member of the Centre de Recherche et de Restauration des Musées de France (C2RMF), Paris. France.