Merete Sanderhoff, curator and senior advisor
The Collection and Research department
Open access to digitized cultural heritage, creative re-use and user involvement.
Open licensing, Creative Commons and copyright in a digital age.
Digital education of art history.
Canons of art history: Mechanisms and processes behind the formation of canons.
The periphery of contemporary art: Danish-Scandinavian artists who border or break with the field of expectations to what contemporary art is.
The institutionalization of the Avant-Garde during the 20th century.
Aesthetic and historical relations between art and music
"A Scientific Controversy. Investigating 'Christ Driving the Traders from the Temple' in the collection of Statens Museum for Kunst, Copenhagen" (red.), in Bruegel Unseen Masterpieces, Google Cultural Institute 2016
"Wanna play? Bridging open museum content and digital learning in schools", in Ed Rodley, Suse Cairns og Rob Stein (ed.) CODE | WORDS Technology and Theory in the Museum, MuseumsEtc. 2015
"This belongs to you", in Luis Marcelo Mendes (red.) REPROGRAM. Technology, Innovation and Culture in a New Era of Museums. Motor Ímã Editorial | Livros de Criação 2015
"Sharing is Caring". Interview with Merete Sanderhoff, in Dominik Landwehr (red.) Public Domain. Edition Digital Culture, Migros Kulturprozent, Christoph Merian Verlag 2015
Mix it up! Exhibition guide (in collaboration with Anne Kølbæk Iversen), Statens Museum for Kunst, 2015
UNRAVEL. Pernille Egeskov (exhibition catalogue), Vejle Kunstmuseum and Museumsbygningen Copenhagen, 2015
"Wanna play? Building bridges between open museum content and digital learning in public schools", published digitally in CODE | WORDS. Technology and Theory in the Museum, Medium 2015
Sharing is Caring. Openness and sharing in the cultural heritage sector (editor and contributor). Statens Museum for Kunst 2014
"Danish Museums on Twitter", case study on the Europeana PRO blog, April 2013
"Rhizomatic Art Stories - balancing between innovation and usability", Museums and the Web 2011.
"Martin Bigum – Structure beneath skin". Randers Kunstmuseum, Randers Kunstforening, Vejle Kunstmuseum and Kastrupgårdsamlingen, 2011-12.
Shades of Black (catalogue for the exhibition), Ordrupgaard and Vejle Kunstmuseum 2010.
"Bevar mig vel? Omkring et bevaringsmæssigt paradoks", in SMK Art Journal 2007. Ed. Peter Nørgaard Larsen, National Gallery of Denmark 2008.
Sorte billeder - Kunst og kanon, Forlaget politisk revy, 2007.
Projects and positions of trust
Chair of the Europeana Art History Collections Advisory Board, 2016-
Board member of DIAS - Digital Interactive Art Space 2015-
Vice chair of The Europeana Association Management Board 2015-
Member of The Europeana Members' Council 2015-
Member of The NMC Horizon Report Museum Edition Advisory Board 2015-
Member of The OpenGLAM Advisory Board, 2013-
Member of ARTstor Museum Advisory Council, 2013-
Member of The Europeana Network, 2012-
Manager of pilot project: SMK's release of 160 highlights for free download under Creative Commons, 2012
Manager of SMK's contribution to the Google Art Project, 2011-12
Manager of the pilot project "Image Sharing and Development of Digital Tools", supported by The Danish Agency for Culture, 2009-11
UNRAVEL. Pernille Egeskov, Vejle Kunstmuseum and Museumsbygningen Copenhagen, 2015
Nuancer af sort (Shades of Black), Ordrupgaard and Vejle Kunstmuseum 2010
NI fra NU - en udstilling om begrebet maleri i Århusområdet, Aarhus Kunstbygning. Center for Nutidskunst 2008.
Contributions to conferences and seminars
- Initiator and organiser of the international Sharing is Caring seminars in Copenhagen, 2011-
- Ready to Reach Out! EU2016NL final conference of the Dutch EU Presidency. Moderator for 'Make it Available and Visible', 29-30 June 2016, Amsterdam
- ELAG 2016 (European Library Automation Group): Keynote 'Exit Control, Enter Creative Chaos', The Royal Library 6-9 June 2016, Copenhagen
- Curatorial Challenges: Speaker in the session 'Interventions: Contemporary Artists Working with or within Museums' with the talk Mix it up! Old collections inspiring new creativity and learning, University of Copenhagen, 26-27 May 2016
- Access to the World’s Images: The Advantages of IIIF (International Image Interoperability Framework): On the Open Access panel, MoMA 10 May 2016, New York
- Museums Council of New York City members event: Keynote address, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 10 May 2016, New York
- Creative Technologies Symposium #3: On the panel 'Wanna play? Open Museum Content for Education', Columbia University, 6 May 2016, New York
- Artstor + AFSMK (American Friends of Statens Museum for Kunst) members event: Keynote address 'Sharing is Caring', 5 May 2016, New York
- Museum Computer Network: On the panels Museum Business Models and New revenue Streams in the Digital Economy and Let's Talk About Open Images and Your Museum, Hyatt Regency 4-7 November 2015, Minneapolis
- The Danish Agency for Culture Annual Meeting: On the panel 'Digital users - are they symbolic or real?', Hotel Nyborg Strand, 8-9 October 2015, Nyborg
- Golden Days Festival: On the panel What about cultural heritage? University of Copenhagen, 10 September 2015
- Community Involvement in Theme Museums: Presentation Set art free, and the rest will follow? Facilitation as key to successful user engagement, Tallinn Song Festival Grounds 2-3 September 2015, Tallinn
- Public Domain. Gratis Kultur für alle? Keynote 'Sharing is Caring', 20 April 2015, Basel
- Moderator of the symposium Archival Bias: Constructing, Coding and Curating Digital Archives, University of Copenhagen, 9 March 2015
- Intensivdagarna: Presentation New perspectives for museum collections (in Danish), The Swedish Exhibition Agency, 19-21 November, Visby
- The Danish Agency for Culture Annual Meeting: Workshop leader in 'The digital cultural heritage - Open data and digital museums' (w/ Jacob R. Wang, The National Museum of Denmark) and moderator in 'The digital library and future users', 22-23 September 2014, Nyborg
- Museoalan Teemapäivät: Keynote Towards an open, participatory cultural heritage at the annual Museum Theme Days 11-12 September 2014, organised by The National Board of Antiquities, Helsinki
- AAM American Alliance of Museums: Speaker in the session "Open to the Public! Museums and Open Content", Washington State Convention Center, 21 May 2014, Seattle
- Open Knowledge Conference: Moderator of the Open Culture track, Centre Internationale de Conférences, September 16-18 2013, Geneva
- Open Culture: Presentation Small Measures. Great Impact. The experience of opening up at SMK, Kia Oval, Juli 2 2013, London
- Moderator of the conference Öppna kulturarvsdata i Norden, Media Evolution City, April 24-25 2013, Malmö
- Computers in Libraries: Video presentation Mobile Synergies in the session Libraries, Archives, Museums. Collaboration on a Large Scale, April 8 2013, Washington D.C.
- Social Media Week: Presentation Art Stories on Twitter, SMK, February 20 2013, Copenhagen
- Value of Open Data, Europeana workshop, INA: Presentation of the shared mobile museum platform HintMe, January 29 2013, Paris
- 2nd International Forum for Cultural Infrastructures: Keynote speech Adding, Sharing, Growing, Caring, Cidade de Cultura, November 7-9, 2012, Santiago de Compostela
- 2nd Strategic Briefing on the European Cultural Commons: Presentation of shared mobile museum platform Common Challenges, Common Solutions, Limassol, Cyprus, October 30, 2012.
- Open Knowledge Festival 2012: Speaker in the session Open GLAM Workshop, Topic Stream 5/Open Cultural Heritage, with the presentation Common Challenges, Common Solutions. Working Together Towards Openness, Helsinki, September 17-22 2012
- Web Manager's Meeting, Smithsonian Institution: Presentation The How's and Why's of Sharing at SMK, Smithsonian, Washington D.C., May 11 2012
- J. Boye Philadelphia 2012: Web & Intranet Conference, The Hub CityView, May 8-10 2012, Philadelphia. Speaker in session Web Strategy and Governance with the presentation Sharing is Daring. Openness as a Business Strategy and leading Tutorial Sharing is Caring. New Directions in Business Transformation with Michael Edson, Lawrence Swiader and Lau Hesselbæk Andersen
- DISH 2011 Digital Strategies for Heritage: WTC Rotterdam, 6-9 December, Rotterdam. Speaker in the session Change Achieved through Action
- Museum Computer Network Conference: 16-19 November 2011, Atlanta. Contribution to the video panel Philosophical Leadership Needed for the Future: Digital Humanities in Museums with the video The Scholar of Tomorrow
- J. Boye Aarhus 11: Web & Intranet Conference, Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, 8-10 November 2011, Aarhus. Speaker in the session Digital Strategy and Governance with the presentation Set it Free to Create More Value (available via Slideshare)
- Museums and the Web 2011: Loews Hotel, 9. april 2011, Philadelphia. Rhizomatic Art Stories - balancing between innovation and usability
- Passion. ODM International Seminar 2011: Hotel Nyborg Strand, 23 March 2011, Nyborg. Passion for accesible cultural heritage.
- NODEM 2010: Nordic Digital Excellence in Museums. Member of local organizing comittee
- Share it – når brugere og kulturinstitutioner deler. (Share It – when Users and Cultural Institutions Share) Kulturarvsstyrelsens Tematimer 1 October 2009, National Gallery of Denmark, Copenhagen.
- Nordisk Museikonferens, 1.-3. april 2009, Malmö and Copenhagen. Presentation for the seminar "Konsten att förvandla besökare til användare" (“The Art of Turning Visitors into Users”)
- Conference on research strategies, The Danish Ministry of Culture, 12 March 2009, Copenhagen. Presentation on “Digital Art Histories”.
- Seminar arranged by Organisationen Danske Museer: Kunstmuseernes seminar, 6.-7. november 2008, Horsens. Presentation on “Digital Art Histories”
Grants and Awards
Ole Haslund's Artist Fund travel grant, 2015
Asta & Mario Krohn's travel grant, 2008
Aarhus University’s Gold Medal, 2006