Use of images and text
Read about how to reuse text and images from our website.
Statens Museum for Kunst is Denmark’s national gallery and main museum of art. The collections span 700 years of art history, presenting works from Denmark, Europe, and the rest of the world. A large share of these collections is in the public domain. They are part of our shared cultural heritage and have been around for so long that they are completely free of any copyright restrictions.
How can you use images that are free from copyright?
You are free to use images of artworks if clearly stated that they are in the Public Domain. Such images carry this mark:
With these images you have the right to:
- Share the images – i.e. to copy, distribute, and transmit them.
- Remix the images – i.e. modify and reuse them in new contexts.
- Use the images in any context – e.g. teaching, research, lectures, publications, film productions, etc. This includes commercial purposes.
How can you use images that are protected by copyright?
You can obtain permission to use all other images of artworks by contacting our photo unit. This also applies to photographs of the museum, of guided tours, and the like.
You do not have to ask for permission to use an image if:
- you want to print 2 paper copies of an artwork for private use
- you want to use a digital version of the artwork for private use where only you and your household has access to view it. For instance in an electronic image archive on your personal computer.
In all other instances please contact the SMK photo unit.
How do you seek permission to use an image that is protected by copyright?
If the artwork is still under copyright because the artist has not been deceased for more than 70 years, you must both contact the SMK photo unit, and seek permission from the copyright owner to use the artwork. If you don't know who owns the copyright, or if you have any other questions pertaining to copyright, please contact Copydan Billedkunst:
2100 København Ø
Telephone: +45 35 44 14 91
If you have any questions about how to use artworks, photographs, or texts from our website you are welcome to email web_@_smk.dk
How can you use text from the website?
Please feel free to quote text from our website, as long as you cite the National Gallery of Denmark as the source. We appreciate it if you would also link back to the specific place on the website where you found the text.